In the latest issue of The Moms Magazine, I shared my recipe for Red Velvet Cake, because what says “Valentine’s Day” more than hearts and chocolate?!
To make this cake, you will need one 8×8 square cake pan and one 8-inch round cake pan. To decorate the cake with icing roses, you will need a 1M frosting tip and a pastry bag. All of these items can be purchased from your local craft store.
Red Velvet Cake
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil or Canola
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 oz. red food coloring (I recommend Americolor gel food coloring)
1 tsp white distilled vinegar
½ cup prepared hot coffee (I used hazelnut flavored for an extra kick!)Preheat oven to 325. In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients except sugar. In a large bowl, combine vegetable oil and sugar. Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red gel food coloring to the sugar mixture. Mix well.
Gradually stir in hot coffee and white vinegar. Add dry mixture to wet mixture, combining slowly.
Grease cake pans (will fill both the 8×8 square pan and the 8-inch round pan for the heart shape). Divide evenly between pans.
Bake 35 min. or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan. Cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 stick of softened butter
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanillaBeat cream cheese in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add butter 1 Tbsp at a time. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Cook both cakes according to the recipe and allow to cool.
- With a knife, cut the circle cake equally in half.
- Rotate the square cake to a diamond shape.
- Place the flat edges of the two halves of the circle cake against two edges of the diamond shaped cake.
- Ice the entire cake once, creating what is called a “crumb coat.” This traps the crumbs and allows your next layer of icing to go on smoothly.
- Next you can either frost the cake with another layer of icing or use the 1M frosting tip to create small frosting roses across the surface.
- To create the roses, simply swirl the icing in small circles going clockwise starting from a small dot you create with the 1M tip.
…then voila! You are certain to impress your loved one!