As busy moms on the go, it’s not always easy to eat healthy! You’re rushing from work to pick up one kid at school and drop off one at dance class and the other at soccer, and you’re all starving in the car!
Rather than grab a candy bar, cookies or chips, I’ve compiled a list of healthy, on-the-go snacks — light meals that should help simplify the process and appeal to a wide range of both kid and mom palates. Some require a bit of prep, and others are simply grab and GO!
· Rolled up turkey and cheese slices
· Cereal bars or granola bars (my favorite are Clif Bars, Kind Bars and Quest Bars)
· Apple slices and peanut butter
· String cheese
· Hummus and wheat thins or vegetables
· “Banana Hot Dog”: One slice of thin sandwich bread, spread with 1 tbsp of peanut butter, place half a banana on top and drizzle with honey. Roll it up and you have a mini banana in a hot dog bun!
· “Power Boats”: Celery, filled with peanut butter and topped with raw whole almonds or raisins
· Sugar-free chocolate pudding cups with sliced almonds and strawberries
· Smoothies with frozen berries, OJ and a (secret) handful of leafy greens. Experiment! The combinations are endless!
· Hard boiled eggs
· Goldfish crackers
· Greek yogurt
· Laughing cow cheese wedges with crackers, celery sticks or cucumber slices
· Quinoa with a small amount of coconut milk and fresh berries. You can cook your quinoa on Sundays and divide into small containers. If you want it to be sweeter, you can add Stevia or Splenda.
· Trail Mix (Make your own with almonds, cashews, peanuts, raisins, sunflower seeds, yogurt covered raisins, chocolate chips, dry roasted edamame, dried fruit, etc.)
· GoPicnic products
· Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches or Uncrustables
· Homemade Lunchables: Put cheese, crackers, fruit, fruit snacks, deli meat, pretzels, etc into the plastic containers that have sections.
· Fresh Fruit: apples, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon clementines
· No Bake Energy Bites: 1 cup dry oatmeal, ½ cup chcocolate chips, ½ cup peanut butter, ½ cup ground flaxseed, 1/3 cup honey, 1 tsp vanilla — Mix all together and form 15-18 “bites.” Store in fridge.
What are some of your favorite go-to healthy snacks? Please share your ideas with us!