These days, the foods I choose and the meals I cook are often designed for function more than flavor. As a WAHM with an active 13 month old who’s discovering the joys of eating, I find that EASY usually trumps creative in the kitchen. But, once in a while, those two elements converge to produce a delicious, healthy and satisfying dish that is also family friendly.
I recently created this “family inspired” recipe for Mueller’s “Tastes Like Home” Pasta challenge. It incorporates our entire team – mom preps, cooks and mixes; dad grills; and baby enjoys a well-balanced, flavorful meal.
The best part?! You can register to win a $250 VISA gift card just by visiting Mueller’s Facebook Recipe Contest Sweepstakes and “liking” the Orlando Moms Blog Grilled Chicken and Veggies over Bowties recipe. Enter EVERY DAY through Friday, Jan. 31. The winner will be selected on Monday, Feb. 3.
Grilled Chicken and Veggies over Bowties
Prep time: 30 min. (mostly inactive while chicken marinates)
Grilling/Cooking time: 30 min.
Serves 6 adults + 2 children
1 lb. chicken
1 bottle herb and garlic marinade
1 lb. zucchini
1 lb. yellow squash
16 oz. sliced white mushrooms
10 oz. baby spinach
12 oz. box Mueller’s Bowties
3-4 TB olive oil
2-3 cloves fresh garlic
1 TB butter
½ cup Chardonnay wine
Salt & pepper
Chicken & Squash
1) Marinate chicken for 30 mins. in your favorite garlic & herb marinade (I used Lawry’s Herb & Garlic).
2) Wash and slice squash in half vertically, then drizzle with 1-2 TB olive oil and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
3) Grill chicken and squash until thoroughly cooked (the squash should be tender, not mushy).
4) While chicken and squash are grilling, cook the bowties as directed on the box and start your wine sauce (set aside a serving of pasta for the kids).
5) Chop cooked chicken and squash into bite-size pieces, save all juices to add to pasta (set aside a serving for the kids!).
6) Place cooked bowties in serving bowl and toss with wine sauce; add chicken and squash (don’t forget to serve the kids their portions without the wine sauce!).
7) Top each serving with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, pour a glass of that Chardonnay you just opened and enjoy!
Bonus step: Vote for this recipe and share it with your friends!!
White Wine Sauce
1) On low heat, sauté 3 minced or pressed garlic cloves with 1-2 TB of olive oil.
2) Increase heat to medium and add washed mushrooms and spinach. Cook down for 3-5 mins.
3) Add ½ cup of wine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4) Toss in 1 TB of butter to enhance richness.